Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lemon Chicken and Penne Pasta



The past couple of weeks I have been getting back into my kitchen in a creative manner.  It has been so enjoyable and tasty to boot.  My husband has recently been told that he has high triglycerides and is completely on board the healthy eating train.  I don't even have to hide the healthy switcharoos that I do at mealtime.  He has always been more than supportive when trying recipes and encouraging me to eat my anti-inflammatory diet.  Now, though, it is nice to see him REALLY take an active role in eating well.

This recipe turned out very good expect that it was a tad bit too tart.  I have adjusted the recipe to reflect the changes and it should turn out perfect!  This has become one of our new favorites :) 

Lemon Chicken and Penne Pasta

2 chicken breasts
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
10 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons capers
1 tablespoon dried parsley
Olive oil
Parmesan Cheese

Drizzle oil over the raw chicken breasts and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.  Rub the mixture into both sides and cover.  Allow to marinate for 1 hour.

While waiting for chicken to marinate, saute diced onion in olive oil until tender.  Remove from pan. This is a great time to cook the pasta as well.   

When chicken is done marinating,  cut into bite size pieces and saute in olive oil until done.  Add the cooked onions and saute until caramelized.  Then add in the white wine and let simmer so that the mixture reduces by half.  Add in the remaining salt, garlic powder, lemon juice, parsley and capers.  Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.  Add in the cooked penne pasta, stir well.  Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled lightly over the top. 




8 comments:

  1. I love to give new recipes a try. And this should work even for those doing glueten free. One needs to just sub out the noodles for glueten free type. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb that is a great idea to make it a gluten free dish. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! We sure do enjoy it. If you make it let me know how it turns out for you :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds so yummy! I just ordered whole grain semolina .. to soak/dry/grind .. and turn into fresh pasta. Will have to try this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to hear how the semolina turns out :)

      Delete