Thursday, January 20, 2011
Best ever sweet and sour meatball recipe
Nate’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs
The first step is to cook the meatballs. The recipe for the meatballs requires the following ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup of canned evaporated milk
1 teaspoon of seasoning salt (Lawry's, Johnny's, etc.)
Flour (For rolling meatballs in)
3-6 tablespoons of canola (For frying the meatballs in)
The directions for cooking the meatballs are as follows:
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix lightly, but thoroughly with your hands.
2. Cover a dinner sized plate with the flour - deep enough to roll the meatballs in.
3. Place and heat the oil in a electric skillet or frying pan over medium heat. If using an electric skillet - 325-350 degrees.
4. Shape and roll the meat mixture into numerous spoon sized balls and roll them in the flour until they are covered.
5. Brown the meatballs in the skillet or pan until brown on all sides. They do not need to be fully cooked. 6- 10 minutes total.
6. Remove the meatballs from the skillet or pan and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
The second step is preparing and cooking the Sweet - n- Sour sauce. The recipe for the sauce requires the following ingredients:
1 Large can of Pineapple chunks (Nate prefers pineapple tidbits)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon pimentos
The directions for cooking the sauce are as follows:
1. Drain the pineapple and save the juice.
2. Measure the conserved pineapple juice and add water to make 1 cup of liquid.
3. Ina medium sized pot, add the pineapple/water mixture and the cornstarch. Blend with whisk until smooth.
4. Stir in the next 4 ingredients into the pot of pineapple mixture.
5. Place the pot of mixture on the burner and cook over medium heat until thick and clear. 3-5 minutes. ( Do not boil)
6. Add the pimento, green pepper and pineapple chunks to the pot.
7. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
In the mean time, heat the oven to 350 degrees and add the meatballs to a 9x13 baking dish. Once the pineapple sauce mixture has simmered for the fore mentioned 15 minutes, remove from heat and evenly pour the mixture over the meatballs. Place the baking dish of meatballs and sauce in the oven, uncovered, and heat for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. While the meatballs and sauce are cooking in the oven, prepare 1 to 2 cups of brown rice. Make a bed for the meatballs and sauce on the serving plates by placing the cooked rice evenly on the plate. When the meatballs are done cooking, place 2-3 meatballs on the rice and spoon the sauce over the meatballs and rice. Serve and enjoy.